Bookmakers declined to choose a favorite for Thursday’s matchup between the Pittsburgh Pirates (59-99) and the Chicago Cubs (68-90), declaring the game a pick ’em. The teams will take to the field at 5:35 p.m., live on SportsNet PT. Pittsburgh has not named a starter for this contest, while Chicago is expected to send Justin Steele to the mound.
The betting insights and predictions in this article reflect betting data from FanDuel as of September 30, 2021, 3:00 AM ET. See the table below for current betting odds.
Cubs Probable Starting Pitcher: Justin Steele
- The Cubs are sending Steele (3-4) to make his ninth start of the season. He is 3-4 with a 4.86 ERA and 52 strikeouts through 50 innings pitched.
- In his last time out on Friday against the Cardinals, the lefty threw five innings, allowing six earned runs while surrendering seven hits.
- Steele has not recorded a quality start so far this season.
- The Cubs’ pitching staff allows an average of 1.3 home runs in road games.
Cubs Hitting Leaders
- Frank Schwindel has been key for Chicago with one home run, three RBI and a batting average of .150 this season.
- Ian Happ leads Chicago in home runs with 24 and runs batted in with 63.
- Among qualified hitters, Happ falls outside of league leaders in hits and batting average in the league.
Powered By Data Skrive using data from