Masters Betting Odds 2022
The Masters is one of the most exciting sporting events of the calendar year, and it takes place this week. Held annually at the Augusta National Golf Club, the event is chock full of history, prestige, and tradition. The world’s best square off with the winner being awarded the vaunted green jacket and a place among the sport’s legends.
And yes, Tiger Woods is even back for the 2022 edition.
Now that you can legally and safely bet on The Masters in Illinois, this highlight of the spring sports calendar can be that much more exciting. Here is our complete guide to betting on the Masters, including live odds from Illinois online sportsbooks.
Best Masters betting sites in Illinois
Betting odds for the Masters
As one of the biggest events on the golf calendar, The Masters always generates high levels of interest. It’s not just relegated to frequent fans of the sport, either. The Masters attracts plenty of betting traffic from those who don’t follow golf closely.
Interest is so high in this yearly event that there’s an active futures market for the Masters. Odds for the next edition are released soon after the current event is in the books. There will be a Masters odds list for all the golfers who compete. The betting public begins weighing in soon after the numbers are released. After that happens, there can be a shift in the Masters betting odds. This will continue throughout the year as bets come in and sportsbooks adjust the odds in response.
Some golfers will attract lots of interest and see their odds shorten, while action will be scant on others. It’s important to remember that the odds won’t be the same at every legal operator. For example, PointsBet Sportsbook may have odds of +900 on Jon Rahm, while BetRivers has his price set at +1,000. As you bet on Masters futures, the idea is to get the best price possible on the golfers you are interested in, so taking the time to shop around can definitely be worthwhile.
Below find live odds for this year’s Masters posted at Illinois online sportsbooks. Tap the drop down menu on the top left to see all the odds boards for this year’s Masters Tournament. Click on any odds to go directly to the sportsbook, claim your bonus and bet
Five top Masters betting tips
When the Masters rolls around, you won’t be lacking for opinions on which golfers will win. This event receives extensive media coverage, so there will be plenty of picks and hot takes to review.
However, it takes a lot more than that to cash some winning tickets once the tournament is in the books. Here are some tips to lean on as you break down the Masters field:
- Review Weather and Tee Times: In a perfect world, the weather will cooperate and there will be four picture-perfect days of action. That doesn’t always happen. Wind and rain could hamper the proceedings, so be sure to spend time checking out the forecast. Also, note which golfers may be teeing off in adverse conditions versus those who aren’t.
- Spend Time on Masters History: At the majors, some golfers excel while others may be more likely to wilt under the pressure. For the players you’re interested in wagering on, be sure to look at how they’ve performed at past Masters. Those who have excelled in the past with high finishes deserve some extra attention during your research.
- Target your Research: Speaking of research, the field at the Masters is a crowded one. It can be tough digging through every golfer scheduled to compete, but you can quicken the process by focusing your efforts. Break down the odds board into a few categories, zero in on the most appealing choices from each one, and spend the bulk of your time there.
- Compare Odds to Official World Golf Rankings: When it’s time to handicap the golfers you’re interested in, make note of their rankings on the OWGR in comparison to the odds board. This is an interesting spot to look for potential misprices. While oddsmakers are generally on the ball, finding an outlier that isn’t receiving much love is possible.
- Have a Betting Plan: Whenever you get set to bet, you should have a clear budget in mind and an overall plan for how you want to allocate it. There are several ways to bet on the Masters, which we’ll cover in a bit. If you take the time to plan it out, you can cover more bases while spreading out the risk and remaining in your comfort zone.
How to bet on the Masters in Illinois
You can bet on the Masters nearly all year-round thanks to the futures market. Sportsbooks release odds for the next Masters soon after the current one is completed. Bettors weigh in right away, and the market will stay active throughout the season.
You’ll be able to pick your spots at any time, but it’s important to remember that futures require a long-term view. Your funds will be tied up until a winner can be called, so be sure to only wager within your comfort level.
Futures are a great way to bet on the Masters, but you also have other choices. Here are some of the more popular ways for you to get in on the action:
- Tournament Winner: Once the Masters draws near, odds for the winner of the tournament will be front and center.
- Top Five, 10, etc.: You can also bet on golfers to be among the top performers. Other available options include an each-way bet that covers a win and high place.
- Leaders by Round: The tournament takes place over four days with individual rounds. You can bet on which golfer you think will be the top performer for each one.
- Pairs and Groups: Sportsbooks will pair off golfers into head-to-head matches or groups. It works like a moneyline bet, so you have to pick the top scorer to win.
- Prop Betting: These are side wagers on what might happen in the tourney, such as the total number of birdies for a round or an over/under on a golfer’s score.
Live betting on the Masters
You don’t have to stop wagering once the first tee shot is hit at the Masters. Live betting provides bettors with the opportunity to wager in real-time as the event plays out. Also known as in game betting, this is a fast-moving market. Leading sportsbook apps make it a breeze to stay on top of the action.
To start, click through on our exclusive links to create an account. You’ll get some great bonus offers for doing so. The sportsbook registration process takes a couple of minutes. Once that’s all set, download the app for your device from the sportsbook website.
Next, just log in on mobile and you’ll be good to go with a live sportsbook in your pocket. You can watch the Masters while keeping an eye on the app for betting opportunities.
The tech used by top operators is fantastic and has evolved to the point where you can even bet on individual shots. Live betting is a great way to enhance the Masters’ experience while also opening up more chances to have some winning bets.
Sportsbook rules for betting on the Masters
As you gain experience with multiple sportsbooks, you’ll find that many of the rules are similar. However, certain situations can be handled differently. For the Masters, here are the biggest points to remember:
- If a golfer withdraws before the event, odds for that player will be removed from the board. Bets on that golfer will be voided and refunded.
- For golfers who withdraw during the event, the wager may be voided as well, but consult the house rules for the exact handling.
- The settlement of all bets is based on the official scoring statistics from the Masters.
- In the unlikely event of the cancellation of the Masters, futures bets will be voided and refunded.
That’s the gist, but we once again have to stress reviewing the house rules, especially on players who are unable to finish. You can find the golf betting rules in the help section of online sportsbooks and apps.
When is the 2022 Masters?
The Masters is one of the biggest highlights of the spring sporting calendar. Here are the details on the next edition.
- When: April 7-10, 2022
- Where: Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, GA
- Weather: Average highs in the 70s, lows in the 50s
- Course Details: Par 72; 7,475 yards.
- Viewing: CBS, ESPN
- Prize Pool and Winners Share: $11.5 million total purse in 2021, with $2.07 million to first place.
- 2021 Winner and Score: Hideki Matsuyama, 10-under par
Past winners at the Masters
Interest continues to grow in the Masters, and it’s not just because legal sports betting continues to take off. Over the past decade, we have seen some absolutely stellar performances at Augusta National. Here’s a look back at the winners and runners-up over that span:
|Year||Winner||To Par||Runner-Up||To Par||Purse||First Place Share|
|2021||Hideki Matsuyama||-10||Will Zalatoris||-9||$11.5M||$2.07M|
|2020||Dustin Johnson||-20 (Record)||C. Smith, S. Im||-15||$11.5M||$2.07M|
|2019||Tiger Woods||-13||D. Johnson, B. Koepka, X. Schauffele||-12||$11.5M||$2.07M|
|2018||Patrick Reed||-15||Rickie Fowler||-14||$11M||$1.98M|
|2017||Sergio Garcia||-9||Justin Rose (lost playoff)||-9||$11M||$1.98M|
|2016||Danny Willett||-5||J. Spieth, L. Westwood||-2||$10M||$1.8M|
|2015||Jordan Spieth||-18||P. Mickelson, J. Rose||-14||$10M||$1.8M|
|2014||Bubba Watson||-8||J. Blixt, J. Spieth||-5||$9M||$1.62M|
|2013||Adam Scott||-9||A. Cabrera (lost playoff)||-9||$8M||$1.44M|
|2012||Bubba Watson||-10||L. Oosthuizen (lost playoff)||-10||$8M||$1.44M|
Top 5 moments at the Masters
The Masters traces its roots all the way back to 1934, with 2020 serving as the 84th edition of one of golf’s signature events. There have been lots of memorable moments at Augusta National through the years, and plenty of them are worthy of discussion for being the most memorable. Here are five that are more than deserving of being in the conversation:
- Tiger Woods wins his fifth green jacket
- Jack Nicklaus wins his last Masters in 1986
- Tiger rewrites the record book in 1997
- Nick Faldo storms back to defeat Greg Norman in 1996
- Phil Mickelson pulls out his first Masters win in 2004
Bet on Tiger Woods at the Masters
In 2019, Tiger Woods was a sentimental choice to pick up the win at the Masters; however, oddsmakers saw things differently. Woods was given odds that were behind a number of the top favorites, but he still attracted plenty of sports betting action. Bettors who made the call on Woods turned out to be quite prescient. He entered the final day two strokes behind before going out on Sunday and delivering a performance for the ages to win his fifth green jacket in thrilling fashion. However, Woods wasn’t able to defend his title in 2020, closing with a 4-over-par-76.
Woods was also victorious at the Masters in 1997, 2001, 2002, and 2005. The lengthy span in between titles was a record-setting achievement for Woods, and there are plenty of folks out there who feel he’s not done yet. Does that make him worthy of a wager or two?
Unfortunately in 2021, Woods was involved in a single-car crash just weeks before the Masters to keep him out of the field. But as of 2022, he is back, and you can bet on him in Illinois.
The Masters FAQs
Part of what makes the Masters so distinct is that it’s still regarded as an invitation-only event. However, there is a specific process that determines who makes it into the field. Included on the list are previous winners of the Masters, golfers who have won any other major over the past five years, and those who have been the top performers for the season at hand.
When legal US sports betting was only available in Las Vegas, that was the place to go to get the odds. These days, it’s a different story. Now that sports betting has been legalized in a growing list of states, operators outside of Sin City are dishing out numbers that are right in line with what you’ll find out in the desert.
The green jacket was a signature part of the attire for members at Augusta National from 1937 through 1948. Starting with the 1949 Masters, the winner of the tournament also began receiving a green jacket, and those who had won previous editions were also awarded one. The tradition is still going strong, with the green jacket remaining a highly desirable commodity.
In the late 1950s, a sportswriter was looking for a phrase that would capture the complexities of navigating a stretch from hole 11 through 13 at Augusta National. He landed on Amen Corner, and his turn of the phrase was quite well received. It has become a standard part of the lexicon during broadcasts of the Masters and in discussions of the event.
A pool for the Masters tournament breaks the golfers in the field down into specific tiers. Entrants into the pool have to pick one choice from each tier. Once the tournament is complete, the top-scoring entrants win. You can find free-to-play Masters pools online.