Disclaimer: Barstool Sportsbook online is not yet live in Illinois. This review is speculative based on what we know so far, and will be updated when Barstool launches here. In the meantime, try one of these top IL sportsbooks.
Barstool Sportsbook, the offshoot of the Barstool media brand, will soon be accepting legal sports wagers in Illinois.
Since brand recognition is not the strongest suit of Barstool’s betting app, this shiny new platform will attract bettors from Illinois with solid sports coverage, a clean interface and a wide range of futures markets. Additionally, the site offers bonus deals to new and existing customers, iOS and Android apps and other features we’ve come to love in online sports betting.
For more details on Barstool Sportsbook’s key attributes, keep reading. We’ve covered the site’s bonuses, apps, betting portfolio and banking section, among other things.
Barstool Sportsbook welcome bonus
By signing up with Barstool, you’ll become qualified for a two-part welcome package. Right after registration, the sportsbook will chip in a $10 no-deposit bonus, followed by a risk-free bet up to $500 for first-time depositors.
Claiming the no-deposit offer is pretty self-explanatory. Namely, after you’ve successfully created an account on the site, the sportsbook will transfer $10 into your bonus wallet.
As for the risk-free deal, its underlying principle is the same as other similar bonuses on the market. If your first-ever wager with Barstool fails, the sportsbook will refund your initial stake in bonus cash, up to a maximum value of $500. Both bonuses carry a 1x wagering requirement and are limited to lines of -200 or longer.
Barstool Sportsbook promo code for Illinois
There aren’t any promo codes for this specific bonus. You can use one of our links to get to the sportsbook’s promotions page more quickly. Once you get there, you’ll find both offers readily available.
|Promo Code||None - Use Links|
|Deposit Bonus||Risk-free first bet, up to $500|
|Last Updated||March 2021|
Barstool Sportsbook Illinois promotions
Barstool has a distinctive collection of ongoing promos. Instead of releasing cash-back deals, parlay boosts and similar offers, Barstool went for a different promotional setup. For example, the sportsbook runs an offer called Reduce the Juice, which gives bettors discounts on standard odds for selected fixtures every weekday from 5-6 p.m.
Users can also partake in the Betslip Bonus deal for a chance to snag $25 in bonus cash. To qualify, you’ll need to post your Barstool betting slips on the sportsbook’s social media channels — Instagram, Twitter or Facebook. And if the sportsbook randomly selects your name in the draw, you’ll receive $25 in bonus cash, as well as an exclusive discount code for the Barstool Sports store.
By claiming the Customization Bonus, Barstool’s customers can earn $5. If you’re interested in this promotion, all you need to do is add a couple of sports into the betting favorites section in your account settings. Once you’ve done this, the book will automatically add $5 to your bonus wallet.
Barstool Sportsbook’s promotion page also features a couple of time-limited promotions. Overall, there are lots of bonuses that you can’t find elsewhere, but the section feels a bit light.
Is Barstool Sportsbook legal in Illinois?
Barstool has gained regulatory approval in Illinois via Penn National Gaming, which has a partnership with Barstool. Penn National owns three casino properties in the Prairie State: Argosy Casino Alton, Hollywood Casino Joliet and Hollywood Casino Aurora.
Legal sports betting in Illinois kicked off in June 2019, after Gov. JB Pritzker signed a package of bills into law. To place real money bets with Barstool Sportsbook legally, you must be 21 or older and physically in Illinois.
How to create a Barstool account in Illinois
Once you use our link to navigate to the sportsbook’s website, you can start placing real money bets within a few minutes, which is all the time it will take you to sign up for an account. Here are the steps to get started:
- Click on the button on the left side of the interface to register.
- Set up the two security questions.
- Type in your account credentials (user name, state of residence, password, full name, phone number and the last four digits of your Social Security number).
- Check the boxes that confirm that you are of legal age, agree with the terms and conditions, and don’t work as a casino employee.
Small reminder, though; you can register for an account from anywhere within Illinois, but you have to be within the state to bet for real money. Also, people working in professions that are directly or indirectly connected with the results of sports contests will be denied betting privileges.
Barstool Sportsbook app
Much like other sportsbooks on the market, Barstool is both desktop- and mobile-friendly. The sportsbook has released standalone apps for iOS and Android users. The download procedure is quick and easy. Once you navigate to the sportsbook website, follow the prompts to get the appropriate app for your device.
Both versions of the sportsbook are well-optimized and have a clean design. Once you’ve arrived at the homepage, you’ll be greeted with a menu that lists the most popular sports at the top of the screen. On the left side, you will find quick links to other directories of the site. Intersection navigation runs pretty smoothly — that goes for both desktop devices and apps. The loading time is slightly subpar but still within an acceptable range.
The sportsbook has also integrated a couple of handy features, like the Quick Pick parlay tool, which randomly generates a six-leg parlay from upcoming sports of your choice.
Barstool Sportsbook features and benefits
After examining the site from top to bottom, we’ve picked out these four characteristics as the most eye-catching features of Barstool Sportsbook:
- Intuitive Betting Platform: The partnership with Kambi has paid off, as the European tech provider has created a responsive platform with Barstool that works well on both desktop and mobile devices. The interface is clutterless and easy to use.
- Handy Tools: The Quick Pick parlay tool could prove useful when you’re in a rush and don’t have the time to make your selections. The “collapse” option is also a nice touch. This function allows users to minimize the menus when they’re not using them, to create additional screen space.
- Freebies at Every Corner: Apart from the $10 introductory bonus, Barstool offers a couple of promos that give bettors a few bonus bucks without asking them to deposit upfront. For instance, the customization bonus gives you a chance to win $5 for merely adjusting a parameter in your account settings.
- Useful Pregame Info Sections: If you choose a popular market like the NFL or the NBA, you’ll be getting a complete insight into the matchup with the help of a chart that shows advanced team and player stats and implied win probability.
How could Barstool Sportsbook improve?
Barstool could become a major force in the US betting industry one day, but, to get there, it needs to work on the following aspects:
- Live Streaming: The lack of live streaming coverage is one of Barstool’s biggest shortcomings, especially since most other sportsbooks have integrated this feature onto their betting platforms.
- Impractical Live Chat: The site does offer live chat support, but it’s not as easy to use as it should be. Users who need help have to go to the customer service section and wait a couple of seconds for the support help bar to pop up. Only then can they connect with the live chat agents. The entire process could be much more efficient with the integration of a one-click button.
- Shortage of Sports-Specific Promos: Although the sportsbook dishes some unique, and often hefty, promotions, it lacks the promos available on other betting sites. These include parlay boosts, in-play deals and cash-back offers.
Types of bets available on Barstool
Barstool Sportsbook has debuted in Illinois with an all-around betting package that includes all the standard types of bets. From wagering on the outright winner with moneyline bets to trying to predict the winning margin via point spreads, bettors will not feel shorthanded here. If totals are your thing, you’ll probably find the draggable scrollbar particularly handy. This feature allows bettors to adjust the over/under line for totals.
Sports you can bet on at Barstool in Illinois
Barstool’s sports coverage is up there with the most accomplished betting brands on the market. Currently, the site lists 17 sports as betting options. Unless you’re looking for out-of-the-way sports, you’ll probably be satisfied with the selection.
Unsurprisingly, the majority of the action revolves around the NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB and MLS. Top international leagues are also available for basketball, soccer and hockey. NCAA football and basketball are also available at Barstool. You can also pick from an array of tennis events across the ATP and WTA circuits, including Grand Slams. Top-tier events from the PGA Tour are available as well, and so are prime-time boxing and UFC fixtures.
Illinois sports teams you can bet on
With sports betting now legal in Illinois, you can stake your cash on all the local teams. Luckily, there are plenty of those to go around in each of the major sports:
- In the NBA, the Chicago Bulls have hit a bit of a dry spell ever since Derrick Rose and Jimmy Butler left the squad. The team has missed out on the playoffs in the past few years, but with Blake Griffin joining the roster, that may be changing.
- The Chicago Bears are having some offensive struggles under coach Matt Nagy. Still, the team will see a changing of the guard in offensive play-calling with Bill Lazor taking over the offensive coordinator position. Bears’ fans have been denied playoff action since 2018 when the Monsters of the Midway lost the wild-card round. Nonetheless, you’re able to bet on all of their matchups throughout the regular season and the playoffs, as well as on the other 31 NFL teams.
- In the Central Division of MLB, the White Sox are doing pretty well for themselves. It’s been over 15 years since the South Siders have lifted the Commissioner’s Trophy, but it seems as if things are going in the right direction. They made the playoffs for the first time since ’08 in 2020 and kept the hot stove buzzing by bringing back Adam Eaton.
Illinois futures betting
With all the professional sports teams in the state, you have a variety of futures with local flavor. Here are some of the possible options:
- Chicago Bulls: A wide range of futures wagers are available for the Bulls and every other NBA team. You can pick the Bulls to win the Central Division, the Eastern Conference, and/or the NBA Finals. Barstool also gives you a chance to bet on which player will win the MVP, Rookie of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year awards, among other individual accolades.
- Chicago Cubs: At Barstool, you’ll have the option of backing the Cubs to win the NL Central, the National League pennant or the World Series. Alternatively, you can pick someone from the Cubs, the White Sox, or other Major League Baseball franchises to win the NL or AL MVP award.
- Chicago Blackhawks: Within Barstool’s NHL futures section, there are plenty of possibilities for avid Blackhawk fans. You’ll find that you can bet on division and conference winners, as well as the potential winner of the Stanley Cup. What’s more, there are also individual regular and postseason awards as betting options.
- Chicago Bears: Barstool offers futures wagers for all 32 NFL teams. You can try predicting the winner of the Super Bowl before the season starts. For a less ambitious bet, you can try picking the winner of both the NFC and AFC conferences. Let’s not forget individual futures wagers — the ones related to the winners of individual awards, such as the MVP, the quarterback with the most passing yards, and so forth.
How to deposit and cash out at Barstool
There are several ways to deposit funds into your Barstool account. You can deposit using ACH/e-check, Barstool Sportsbook Play+, online banking (Chase, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, etc.) debit/credit cards, PayPal and wire transfer.
The minimum deposit amount is $10 for most methods, while the upper limit hovers around $25,000.
For withdrawals, you can use:
- Online banking
- Paper check
How to contact Barstool customer support
Barstool customer support is reachable via live chat and email. The sportsbook doesn’t have a direct phone line, but you can request a callback via the FAQ tab.
Responsible gambling at Barstool Illinois
Barstool has a responsible gambling and patron protection page, which not only teaches bettors about all the potential dangers of compulsive gambling but also provides the necessary tools to cope with and prevent the addiction.
You can manage your wagering activities by imposing deposit, stake and playing-time limits. There’s also an option called Reality Check, which basically reminds you of your session and spending every once in a while.
Barstool Sportsbook also puts a self-exclusion service at your disposal. Furthermore, if you want to take a short break from betting on the site, you can use the timeout option and exclude yourself from the site for a period of three days, one week, two weeks or four weeks.
Where is the Barstool retail sportsbook in Illinois?
Penn National Gaming, one of Barstool’s partners, has several land-based gambling facilities in Illinois. In all likelihood, one of these establishments will serve as the entry point for Barstool’s retail sportsbook in the Prairie State. We’ll update this page as we get more information.
Is Barstool the best sportsbook in Illinois?
Even though Barstool has lots of potential to become a serious contender on the US betting scene, it’s not quite there yet. There are a few things the sportsbook could work on, most notably the live betting platform. Barstool has its strengths, notably unique promos and features, but still has a long way to go before being considered a top dog in the market.